Welcome to the memorial page for

Richard "Dick" Lee Taylor

January 6, 1930 ~ January 12, 2018 (age 88)

Share using:         


Funeral Service
January 20, 2018

11:00 AM
Faith Bible Baptist Church
3265 CR 38
Yuma, CO 80759

Interment following funeral service
January 20, 2018

Yuma Cemetery
Westcott Avenue
Yuma, CO 80759

Obituary Image

Richard Lee Taylor turned 88 years old, this week he passed away Poudre Valley Hospital in Fort Collins, CO.  Dick was born in Torrington Wyoming, to Lyal and Chelsea Taylor Krause. 

 Dick married Margaret Barrett in June 1951 in Augusta Georgia where he was stationed at Camp Gordon after being drafted into the Army.  Margaret stayed in Georgia until Dick was shipped out to Korea. Margaret passed away August, 1997.

 Dick married Phyllis Trettenero in 1978.  They have been married 39 years.

 Dick attended District 24, a one room school until 8th grade where he was advanced grades. Dick likes to brag it was due to his "advanced superior brain functioning." The one room school was 11 miles northeast of Chappell Nebraska. Dick graduated in 1946 at the age of 16 from Chappell High School in Chappell Nebraska where he played football, basketball, and ran track at Chappell HS.  Dick attended Colorado A&M in Fort Collins in the fall of 1947.  He played quarterback for the team and was able to participate in the Raisin Bowl in Fresno California in 1949.  He played with the infamous Thurman (Fum)McGraw.  He would brag that his lineman, Fum, took care of this skinny kid from Nebraska. Dick has a commemorative brick with his name engraved at the newly built CSU stadium. After the quarter, and football season ended, Dick returned to the family farm where he was needed helping out with the milk cows and farming.  Dick says he regrets not returning to school.  But at the time he was needed on the family farm.

 Dick was drafted into the Army on April 1951 and began basic training at Camp Gordon in Augusta Georgia. There he became a high speed radio operator. Dick sent confidential information using Morse Code, to this day remembers and demonstrates that craft.  Dick reported to KMAG & Rock Division on the 38th Parallel of the Front Line in South Korea. Dick spent 13 months in South Korea.   He returned to San Francisco, California a few days before Christmas in 1952.  His first child had been born in May of 1952 and had not seen her for those first 8 months.

 Dick then returned home to Crook Colorado where he farmed with his brother Robert before buying property.  He then farmed sugar beets, corn, beans, alfalfa hay, wheat, and raised those Black Angus cattle.  The family was very involved in the operation of the farm. Dick was named "Outstanding Young Farmer" in the early 1960's. His children attended Crook Elementary and High School and Caliche H.S.

  Dick moved to Yuma Colorado in 1970 and farmed until his late retirement in approximately 2008. Dick worked until his 80's doing what ever he could to help. He enjoyed preparing the wheat ground in anticipation of new planting.  Unfortunately he was forced to stop because of health issues.  This was very difficult for Dick.  He grew up and loved the land.  He would still drive out to the farm just wanting to be around when harvest was going on.  He would contribute his part by being involved in the harvest even if it was just to bring donuts to the kids.  Dick continued to be very mentally sharp recalling all those days of farming, football, and family adventures.  If you got him talking it was difficult to get him to stop.  He loved to reminisce about the old days of farming and football.  Dick was a very detailed record keeper and had the most detailed records dating back 30 some years.  "You never know when you might need to find out something and its cost."  This was much to the demise of his family.

 Dick will be deeply missed by many.  Until the end he kept his "whitty" sense of humor entertaining nurses, doctors, and family members.

 Dick loved to read and watch all forms of athletic events on TV, especially football.  It was a sad day for Dick when he could no longer see those games.

 Dick is survived by his wife Phyllis Taylor of Yuma CO.  Brothers:  Dale Taylor and wife Kathleen of Aurora, Lyal Taylor and wife Donna of Westminster, CO.  Sister in Law JaLois Taylor of Yuma. Cousin Lee Taylor and wife Margaret of Sedona AZ. Cousin Linda Taylor of Seattle, WA. Step brothers Russell Krause and wife Karen of Wheatland WY, and Richard Krause and wife Connie of Fort Collins,CO. Along with numerous loving nephews and nieces.  Daughters:  Sue Mueller and husband Kent of Fort Collins, CO.  Carol Marostica and husband Randy of Yuma.  Sons:  Mike Taylor and wife Cindy of Yuma,  Jerry Taylor and wife Pamela of Yuma CO.  Stepson Zane McMeekan of Yuma.   Grandsons:  Brett Samber and wife Shayna of Windsor, CO,  Brad Samber of North Brunswick, NJ.  Jessica Humphrey and husband Trip of Aurora, CO,  Erin Lapree and husband Ryan of Aurora CO,  Hali Taylor of Greeley CO, Zack Taylor, Hannah English and husband Casey of Yuma CO, Cole Taylor and Jayden Taylor of Sterling CO.  Great grandchildren:  Jase and Ainsley Samber, Tommy, Caylee, and Tyler Humphries, Taylor Gomez and Winnie Lapree, Grayson English, Zaiah and Myrah McMeekan.

 Richard was preceded in death by:  Parents Lyal Taylor and Chelsea Taylor Krause.  Brother Robert Taylor. Infant daughter Jolene Taylor, infant twin brother Wayne Taylor, neice Sheree Taylor.

A funeral service is going to be held on January 20, 2018 at the Faith Bible Baptist Church in Yuma, Colorado at 11:00 A.M. The service will be officiated by Pastor Edwin Anderson.  Baucke Funeral Home was in charge of the arrangements for this service.

© 2018 Baucke Funeral Home. All Rights Reserved. Funeral Home website by CFS